District No. 36, Township 17, Range 11
Board of School Directors
Harvey, McLin, President J . J. Pascal, Clerk Philip Stock
In 1821 there were but twenty families in the unorganized territory now comprising Cass, Morgan and Scott Counties. Ten years later, though, the country was very sparsely populated, there were a few schools conducted at private houses. One of the first schools of this kind was taught on the farm of James Davis in Section 12, Monroe Precinct. This school was taught first by Jessie Pierce, then by John Gillespie for twelve years. Then, John Schaeffer, in 1844, deeded for school purposes one acre off the northeast corner of the southwest corner of Section 11, this being the first organized district in 17-11 was called District No. 1.
On the above mentioned acre a small log house was built, but in 1858 was torn down and a frame house built larger to serve not only the growing school but also for church services, was erected on the same site. In Nov. 1882 this building burned and the term of school then in progress, with Grace Mauck as teacher, was completed in the Baptist Church. In the spring of 1883 the present school house was erected by James Clifford of Virginia.
Monroe has paid no more than $50 and no less than $30 for teachers. There are no illiterates of school age. The boundaries of the district have been changed three times and each time the district has been made smaller. Monroe District is now numbered 36.
The clerk of the board, J. J. Pascal, taught six years in this school. Following named also taught here: C. A. Schaeffer, Lizzie Wilhite, Henrietta Savage, J. G. Franken, Carrie Doerr, Grace Davidson, Alice Hinchee, Anna Nordsick, Hazel Orr, Nora Thompson, Nellie Irvine, Nellie Paul, Ursula Chambers, Frances Pond, Zella Etchison, Georgia Chapman. Ernest Kirchner will teach his first term here during 1914-1915.