District No. 11, Township 18, Range 11
Board of School Directors
A. H. Krohe, President John Davidsmeyer, Clerk W. F. Dick
This school occupies a commanding site on a high bluff overlooking the Sangamon River and is about midway between Beardstown and Chandlerville on the south side of the main road.
The number of pupils are few at present when compared to the large attendance of years ago.
Cottonwood School has generally been a good one and this fact is due in large measure to the interest taken in the welfare of the pupils by the directors. The close attention given to the school by the directors, and among these we must include H. A. Hierman, who was a director for years before he moved from the district, has been very noticeable and has borne fruit as evidenced by the ability of the students who have left the walls of Cottonwood School and entered business life or have gone on to higher institutions of learning.
A. E. Flinn, May Schaefer, Yette Ruhlman, Fannie Long, Lizzie Rahn, Grace Freeman, Emma T. Yeck, Nellie McLane, Alice M. Flinn, Verna Baujan, Ethel Plummer, now Mrs. Carl Ericson, Eva Ater, Sara Rethorn, Beulah Harbison and Nellie M. Blohm are among the teachers who have held sway in this place.
During 1914-1915 Miss Marie Warnke will teach the Cottonwood School.