The cornerstone of the old high school building, located at 15th and Jefferson Streets, was laid on June 23, 1924. Students first attended class there on September 1, 1925.
A city-wide contest was held to determine the name of the structure. Upper grade students made the final determination from among the entries received, narrowly favoring Beardstown High School over Jefferson High School.
The building was demolished in 2005.